Monday, March 31, 2014

The end of the robot

And, there was much rejoicing when team 4651 did not get picked to be on an alliance team for the qualification rounds.

This year's team placed 29 out of 63 teams, much better than the 50th place finish last year. And, the last match was quite suspenseful with the red team winning by one point. If the video would upload, I would put it here, but there are some problems with blogger trying to upload it. Just pretend that there are 6 robots on two separate teams trying to score points by passing and getting large exercise balls into goals. Ben's team's robot actually scored two of the goals for their alliance team helping them win 107-108.

Here is a computer rendering of what the game looks like. Notice the awesome faces in the crowd.
The boys on the team didn't seem too sad that they didn't get picked to be on an alliance team. They were just happy they did better than the previous year. While we were eating lunch, they all agreed that they were ready to go home and didn't want to watch any of the final matches. Ben said that on the drive home one of them also exclaimed, "FREEDOM!!!" 

Ben thought the exact same thing.

Robots has been quite the draining extracurricular activity. Ben would normally get home after 6 everyday and then go in for several hours on Saturday for 3 months. Russell hated it because his favorite play buddy was never home. I hated it because I felt like I did a lot of single parenting. Ben hated it because he was stuck at work for three extra hours most days and couldn't get any of his real work done. Lucky for me and Russell, we spent three weeks at Mom and Dad's during this time.

Russell will be sad, though, because he liked the 'bobot' and liked going in with dad occasionally to school while they worked on building the robot. He proudly wore his 'bobot' shirt to the last day of the competition and can pick out 'bobots' whenever we see them. He's already turning into a little nerd boy...

3 comments:

Karen H Duvall said...

Sometimes too much of a good thing is well, just enough. That is still super awesome what you guys did for the team! Way to go on your accomplishment!

Tracy said...

Sometimes I really wish there was a like button for blogs. :)

Janet said...

Have you ever seen the movie Real Steel? I always imagined the robots being like that, but I was sorely disappointed when I saw this picture. Boring. How come high schoolers can't make robots like the ones in the movie?