Sunday, July 30, 2017

Olmsted County Fair

Today was the end of the fair, so I got to pick up my entries and my ribbons/checks for winning.

I remember going to the fair and looking at every single 4H and domestic entry and commercial booth before ever being allowed to ride on a ride or get food. And, I thought that took way too much time (except for the free water from the Culligan people, and sticking our hands in the hot tubs, and what ever the newspaper was handing out that year). Then when I was in middle school I realized that maybe one day I could actually put in some of my own stuff.

Meghan Burley did one year in college and she won, and that reminded me that I could do it. Then once we finally moved into our house just down the street from the fairgrounds, I was re-reminded that I could enter things.

It really is lots of fun. This year when I took things in the ladies were saying that they needed lots more entries in the sewing/knit/crochet categories. And, I am pretty sure anyone in the state of Minnesota can enter (Janet!). I am hoping that next year I can get Russell to enter in one of his fantastic machine drawings and maybe even something he builds out of his legos. I'm also trying to convince Ben to enter one of his model Enterprises in when he finishes it.

The best part about entering things is that you have a whole year to work on things and even two years in the case of some hobbies and quilts. I have already decided that I am going to enter lots more things next year including:

a

a barn quilt
a quilt using my fabric scraps from this year
a wall hanging quilt
a hand lettered wall hanging
more sewn stuff especially kids clothes because no one enters those categories
I have even thought about trying some simple embroidery and needlepoint

I have my work cut out for me if I actually do want to enter all these things.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Whenever it is that we are around for our county fair, I will enter lots of kids clothing. Also, there is a category at out fair specifically for Dakota Bread. I could do that.

Meghan Burley said...

The Knox County Fair for crafts is "Open to the World" so you could enter in things to it!

http://www.knoxcountyfair.org/index.php/exhibitors/arts-crafts-and-culinary

Janet said...

You better get started if you're planning on doing all of those quilts. Just let me know what categories you enter next year so I can enter all the same ones. 😃

Janet said...

After we went to the Benton County Fair I decided I needed to enter things there next year, too. Even Jacob wants to enter some of the art ones.