Early morning on Sunday, May 6th, 2012, Joanna and I were attempting to get some sweet sleep. However, our bladders, and the ferocious thunderstorms outside, thwarted our efforts. (Little did we know that behind the thick clouds lay the SUPER MOON!! (When the moon is 15,000 miles closer to the earth than average and the gravitational pull is the strongest.)) Joanna was having regular strong contractions, but we didn't think anything of it because the baby wasn't due for another 3 weeks.
At 3:30am Joanna woke me up and said, "I think my water broke!" We inspected the liquid and determined it was not a micturition product, and then we called the hospital. They told us to come in. So we showered and prepared our bags, and then left in the middle of the rain, thunder, and lightning storm!
Once we arrived at the hospital, the nurses did some tests, but were not convinced that Joanna's water had actually broken. After a few hours, Joanna told the nurse: "Umm, I think I'm leaking something." At which point the nurse took a sample, and in a few minutes confirmed that it was amniotic fluid, and that the baby was going to be born today!
With that news, we settled in as wonderful nurse Sakeena hooked in IVs, and prepared the room. Joanna was given a medicine that caused her contractions to become more regular. After several hours she was having contractions only a few minutes apart, and she was properly dilated. That is when Joanna started to push with all her strength to get baby out! The nurse and I helped out with encouragement and feet holding. After about 45 minutes of strong pushing, the doctor came in to the room, observed for a bit, then suited up and prepared the bed and other devices for the birth. With a little help from the doctor and nurse, and one gigantic final push by Joanna, baby Russell Forrest Joslin came squeezing out! After a few mouth and nose suctions, he immediately started crying and then promptly urinated on the doctor. The new-born nurse took Russell over to another table where she cleaned him, and checked his vitals. "He's a healthy baby boy!" she said, and then read off his stats: "6 pounds 12 ounces, 19 and a half inches long. Born at 6:26pm on May 6th, 2012." I was smiling ear to ear as I stood over his little squirmy self, and as he grabbed my pinky.
After things calmed down, Joanna and Russell got washed up, the room was cleaned, and we contacted our families to let them know. We are so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends, and we know that they will be a great strength to us and Russell!
We are so blessed and happy to have this miracle addition to our family!
- Ben
6 comments:
What a wonderful new baby and new family! We love you three!! PS-where did the name Forrest come from?
What's nice post, Ben! Too bad you had to sneak a singamajig in there. I hope you guys got some sleep. I can't wait to hold him. And to me he looks like a Joslin.
I think he looks like a Scoresby!! I forgot to mention that in my first comment. How funny that a Scoresby thinks he looks like a Joslin and a Joslin thinks he looks like a Scoresby. That must mean he looks like both families. I know that we claim him as one of us Joslins!
Yay Russell! I am excited to see all of the pictures and cannot wait for more! Congraulations again Ben and Joanna!
We are so happy for you two...um, I mean, three! It's nice to hear the Dad's side of the birth story for a change. Congratulations!
He's adorable...we're so thrilled for you! Can't wait to see more photos...sending our love,
Mary, Jim, Rachel & Alex
Post a Comment