Friday, August 14, 2015

One year of our house

I realized today that one year ago today is the day we closed on the house. It has been such an incredibly long and painstaking year, and we are happy with the progress that has been made. We can't wait to get the rest finished up for many reasons: to not have tools laying around everywhere, to hopefully get rid of some more of the smell that lingers, to have a little more storage space, etc.

Here is a quick peek at what has happened so far. And, don't mind the mess. I'm pretty sure it won't look put together until there is no one with a single digit age living in the house.

The view from the front door. We are planning on painting it this upcoming week. That will allow us to install a little mantle piece/shelf over the couch. Plus, I need to figure something out with the curtains because I originally didn't plan on them being almost the same color as the wall paint. I'm going to try dyeing them and seeing what happens.

The downstairs bathroom. It is the most finished room in the house. We just need to do some paint touch-up on the crown molding and screw a little door stopper in, and we will be done!

The view from the dining room. The dining room is also almost finished. Once again some paint touch-up on the crown molding and then staining the two beams and we'll be done with the dining room.

Looking into the kitchen. This was the biggest change in the whole house. I love it becasue now I am not secluded in the kitchen, though some days I wish I was.

The kitchen. It has the dumb 4 doorways that make it hard for any counter space, but changing the location of the doorway to the dining room made it possible to get a tiny bit more counter space.

The stairs. The whole house was covered in disgusting tar residue from smokers, and the stairway was one of the worst areas. If you look closely you can see the discoloration and drip marks. Blech! We are hoping to get this area painted before school starts up again. Then I plan on having an awesome gallery wall.

The upstairs bathroom. This was another room with a huge change. Everything is new, including the walls. And, the outlet because there wasn't one in the bathroom.

Our bedroom. It's the least of our concerns right now since we can manage with it being in a slight state of disarray.



The kids room. The area is huge compared to what the apartment had.
Notice how short it is? We didn't change that.

Peek-a-boo!
Now after looking at these pictures, I feel like I really need to declutter. I promise it isn't nearly as messy now at 9:00pm since the kids are in bed and not messing things up.

5 comments:

PK said...

Some very good changes. And the clutter is just a by product of people living in the house. I'm sorry to say that having no people in single digit age really doesn't make that much of a difference, it's just that the clutter is different.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Wow, what a lot of hard work you've done! It's terrific! And I'm drooling over that claw foot tub - we have one in the basement that I'm determined will make it upstairs...someday. Thanks for sharing and congrats on one year!-Mary

Joanna said...

We sold the claw foot tub because I couldn't imagine trying to bathe little kids in it. However, the lady who bought it turned it into a couch!

Meghan Burley said...

LOVE IT! It looks great! As went through the pictures I felt like I was watching HGTV with the transformations!

Lindsey said...

Wow. I had no idea how much work you were putting into this house! I am very impressed and it's looking great!