Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Road Trip: State and National Parks

I told Ben this was the trip to Arizona that I was going to see the Grand Canyon. And, since we were driving close to Mount Rushmore we stopped there. We didn't know beforehand, but our trip took us past Martin's Cove and Wall Drug so we made a couple of unplanned stops, too.

Dave and Lindsey met us at the Grand Canyon. It was fun having them there with us. Russell loved holding Sophie's hand while we walked.





You can just barely see the bottom in this picture.




All of the kids loved the little squirrels running around.


That lady was meditating right there. She must have been getting some good vibes.


It was kind of unreal standing there looking at it. The day was hazy so that made it even a little more unreal. We drove along the south eastern rim of it on our way to Utah. there were places where the road was right on the rim with only a little scenic view pull off area. It was a beautiful drive.

Mount Rushmore was also a little bit unreal as well. It was just like I remembered when we went a long long long time ago.






Crazy Horse was on the way, but we didn't stop.
We stopped in Martin's Cove for only a few minutes on our way to Mount Rushmore. Neither of us had been there, and it was interesting the see where the handcart companies were.

"You don't have to push a handcart."

They have these handcarts to push around the little area by the visitor's center. I had to put Russell's back and it was so hard to pull it. Ben and I both have a greater respect for the pioneers who had to push and pull. I would never have made it.




Wall Drug. It was just a big tourist trap. The ice cold water they advertised was not ice cold. But, we saw the jackalope, and Ben made me pose by this buffalo.




2 comments:

Janet said...

Of course Wall Drug is a huge tourist trap, that's why it's so funny!

Why would you pay to see an unfinished crazy horse when you can drive past for free?

I'm jealous of you seeing the grand canyon. Even though I want to hike it one day.

Emily said...

We've driven past and never stopped at any of those places, even with all the times we've driven from Arizona to Utah and back. Did you get nervous when Russell was standing at the barrier at the Grand Canyon?